Thursday, April 20, 2017

Try something new

 

Is this just me?

Do you remember when you first started knitting? Do you remember your feelings of anxiety and fear when you were learning to cast on and working a knit stitch for the very first time? 

Last night my almost 13-year old and I attended a paint and dip (there was not sipping but instead we dipped fruit and crackers because it was held at a church – spoiler, it was still super fun) fundraiser event. For weeks leading up to the event I dreaded attending because I have never done anything like this before and like when I started knitting, the fear of starting something new was overwhelming. If you want to be honest, I almost didn’t attend and instead just making a donation because I valued the cause the money was towards.



knitdesigns by Tian, Craft Biz Solution, Tian Connaughton
In the end, I decided to put on my big girl undies and jump in with no great expectation but to just have fun. And that worked. 

I’ve been good at so many things for so long that it is difficult to go back to that beginner stage where I know nothing. Going back to the point where I am asking questions and am filled with dread of the unknown. 




The truth is, this is not a bad thing. I walked away from the event with a painting I absolutely loved that is a reflection of me - this is going up on my wall in my office so I can look at it every day when I work as a reminder of starting over with fear and coming out the other side with something beautiful.

There were people there at the event with some artist background that I was super jealous of how their painting was turning out. I wanted to add a branch like the woman on my right or more random colors like my son on my left. But near the end of the night, when I steps back and looked at what I have done, I could no longer see the wonky strokes or the area where I messed up. It looked like a piece of art I wanted to share, and am sharing with you right now. 

The bottom line is that we are afraid of trying new things because starting from zero is scary. No one wants to be a novice again because being an expert, having experience is comfortable and easy. Starting anew is hard. But such beautiful things come from the doing, even when you are afraid.  


Don’t let the unknown hold you back because the thing you are afraid to do can be the best thing you’ve ever done. Take a risk and go be remarkable. You got this, girl.


knitdesigns by Tian, Craft Biz Solution, Tian Connaughton

Check out this blog post:
Just go knit something already! How to Deal With Self-Doubt in your knitting (and designing)

Now it's your turn. What is something you were afraid to try but did anyway? Good or bad, what was the result? I love hearing from you. Please share in the comments below. If you know someone who could use some positive vibes, send them this post.



Until next time... stitch on!
Tian



Knitdesigns by Tian, Free 5-Day Design Challenge










Hey bottom scroller! Don't miss...

* Knit Picks' Flourish, the print book, is still on sale for 40% OFF for only $11.99GET IT NOW before the sale ends!



** Like the KnitDesigns Facebook page so you can keep up with all my shenanigans and fiber tips between weekly emails.




Covell Tee
image by Knit Picks







** The charity {The Weekly Yarn} is supporting for the month of APRIL is ACLU, to empower and defend. A portion from total profits from my Ravelry pattern sales will be donated at the end of the month.


*** Are you an aspiring knit and crochet designer needing more help figuring our where to start?

I have been asked and am looking into doing a FREE 5-day design challenge for knit and crochet. If you are interested, get on the list to get more information. 

Sign up here to get on the waiting list and to get details when available.














Don't want to wait for the challenge, get Unlock your Inner Designer: How to start designing (course + workbook) is available for immediate download on Etsy. Get your printable PDF copy here. 

















Are you an aspiring knit and crochet designer needing more help figuring our where to start?



Click here to get your printable PDF copy of Unlock Your Inner Designer: How to start designing (course + workbook)  






Need more 1:1 help than the course + workbook, email me to talk. I'll help you get it! 
















I am dedicated to giving you the tools and confidence to knit and crochet what you want on your terms.






Join

{The Weekly Yarn} from KnitDesigns by Tian



* indicates required






I am interested in Crochet and Knit...
Email Format





2 comments:

  1. I love your paintings! They're so colorful. Generally, I'm not afraid to try out a new craft because what's the worst that could happen? Even if it's an epic fail, nobody dies. I did try out a career path that was wasn't sure was the right one for me. Turned out I should have listened to my gut, but I did learn some valuable things from the experience. Fortunately, nobody died while I was learning them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. My son and I, obviously, have different artist aesthetics, lol. His free spirit and openness to just put paint on the canvas and to see what happens is inspiring.

    I agree with you... "what's the worst that could happen?". So often we go through life being safe, not pursuing the things we desire most. Unless someone will die, I say go for it. If it fails, there is a lesson, learn it and move on, and then, did we really fail when that experience will lead us further on the journey?

    I believe that we only truly fail when we don't try at all.

    Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete