Thursday, November 2, 2017

Tour of Harrisville Designs plus 2 free patterns

Yay, it's November, y'all! My birthday month. 

Yep, another year older (insert happy dance).

It’s gotten quite cold around here in the Northeast. This past Sunday into Monday we were hit with a major storm knocking out power (power is restored to parts of my town). It is times like this that I am so glad I have a portable craft like knitting and crocheting to keep me busy as we made the trek to grandma's house.

Of course, we all know the holidays is just around the corner. BUT, I am being stubborn – like every year before – and waiting until it’s impossibly late to start holiday crafting.

What I am knitting on is a pair of socks. Yes, I am a bit late to Socktober. Last week I was wondering through Jo-Ann’s Fabric with a coupon burning a hole in my pocket, so I had to get SOMETHING. I picked up a couple skeins of Patons Kroy Socks FX in the Cascade Colors colorway. These socks are simple toe-up with a heel flap using Liat Gat KnitFreedon’s Toe-up Heel-Flap Sock Pattern, and a purl with eyelet ridge. Note: If you don’t want to join her email list to get the pattern, you can use any Wendy Knit’s (Wendy D. Johnson) toe-up socks with a gusset pattern. I’ve completed the first sock and it fits perfectly. I think this might be my new go to sock. Now I’m on the foot of sock #2. I can’t wait to start on the heel. So far no second syndrome, yay!



Are you a sock knitter? Do you prefer top down or toe-up? What kind of heel do you like?



Before I go I have one more thing to share. Back in June I visited and toured Harrisville Designs Inc. mill in southern New Hampshire. I wrote an article about my adventures which is featured in I Like Knitting magazine December 2017 issue, which is now available here. Please note that you have to be a subscriber to the magazine to read the whole article, but I think it’s great.

In addition to the article I designed 2 fingerless mitt patterns. One is a knit on their blog (Silver Mist Knit Fingerless Mitts Free Pattern) and the other is crochet on the I Like Crochet Blog (Silver Mist Crochet Fingerless Mitts Free Pattern). These simple fingerless mitts work up fast. Make for a gift or to match your wardrobe. The yarn used is Harrisville Designs Shetland Fingering (217 yards per 50 grams skein) in colorway Silver Mist. These mitts use very little yarn. Each pair uses a single skein.

Take a look at the article and patterns. I hope you enjoy them.

One last thing. Wanna do a KAL/CAL for these mitts? Let me know what you think.



Until next time... Stitch on!
Tian

A rising tide lifts all boats!
Tian Connaughton
KnitDesigns by Tian
Crochet & Knit Designer & Tech Editor
{Simple Designs, Beautiful Results You Will Love To Wear!}
Ravelry: KnitDesigns by Tian
Normal Work Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm EST

No comments:

Post a Comment