Tuesday, October 4, 2016

How do you celebrate?


The other day I was having a casual conversation with my mother, like you do. She off-handed mentioned a concert her church choir will be performing in, which was not unusual. We talked about a few other things and just by chance at the end of the conversation, just out of curiosity, I asked who would be singing the lead during the concerts because it's usually the same few special individuals that get chosen. And being nosey, I wanted to know which special snowflakes were chosen. But she surprised me by saying that she, my mother, would be in fact be singing the lead for one of the songs.

WHAT?! This is big.

Why do we do this? Why do we down play these achievements? Let’s celebrate these accomplishments, regardless of how relatively minor. Push out our chest. Be proud.

One of the things I've learned over the past few years as I've transitioned to a full-time designer and tech-editor, no longer in the corporate environment where I get a bonus for meeting goals at the end of the year or a raise, it is important, more so than ever before, to celebrate milestones for myself, regardless of how small the achievement might seem.



As a freelancer, I don't have a boss looking over my shoulder checking up on me and patting me on the back when I do something right. I have to do that for myself. It took me a while to get to this point, but it has made a huge impact on the work I produce and put out into the world and how I show up in this space. And that is something I want you to do for yourself.

Sure, the things you do might not go viral on the internet. Your new design that you felt like you total hit out of the park did not hit the top 20 on Revelry's Hot Right Now. Or, you modified a pattern, completely changing it and the designer doesn't take notice. So what? The fact that you did this thing that millions of people cannot, is reason enough to celebrate. So please celebrate ALL your achievement.

The truth is, your family members, while they love you and want the best for you, they will not get it and understand. Your accomplishments in this space might make no sense to them. After all this time, my parents still don't understand what I do really. But that doesn't matter. Find your inner circle. My husband and son gets its. They know what that trip to Webs mean. Did I mention I went to Webs this weekend? I'll share my haul next week.

The bottom line is that your accomplishments deserve to be acknowledged. The way you celebrate doesn't have to be huge or expensive. So, you submitted a proposal to your favorite publication for their recent Call for Submission. Celebrate. Go get your nails done. You get a response back from a yarn company you bit the bullet and sent an email seeking yarn support. Celebrate with a new project bag.

Those seemingly small accomplishments lead to greater and bigger things; a rung on the step up. See them for what they want. Celebrate.

P.S. Did you see what's new, Unlock your Inner Designer_Journal?

This Journal is the perfect way for knit and crochet designers to keep track of their designs, sketch and note all in the same notebook.

It can be so easy to jot something down on a piece of paper, but scrap papers get lost. Keep all your ideas, notes and sketches all in one place in your Unlock your Inner Designer_Journal. And the best part is, when you see a Call for Submission from your favorite publication in Ravelry, you don't have to scramble to create something from scratch. You can go to your journal, flip through your library of ideas for one that might easily fit the call or can be modified.

Stay organize.
Be ready with sketches and notes for Call for Submissions.


Until next time... Stitch On!

Tian
"A rising tide lifts all boats"







Want a 20% OFF COUPON to my Ravelry Shop 


and subscriber-exclusives?  





Subscribe to

{The Weekly Yarn} from KnitDesigns by Tian



* indicates required





I am interested in Crochet and Knit...
Email Format




No comments:

Post a Comment