Saturday, July 20, 2019

I just want to get back to my knitting

Image may contain: text that says 'just want to get back to my knitting'
You say you just want to get back to your knitting and girl, me too, ME too. But I don’t have that luxury, so you won’t either.

You say you just want to get back to your knitting and girl, me TOO. But when you say that you JUST want to go back to your knitting, all I’m hearing is that you don’t care if I’m safe and included as long as you are NOT in discomfort. You don’t care about my DISCOMFORT. YOU have the privilege to exit the conversation UNDAMAGED whenever YOU want even while I’m forced to have this conversation over and over... while I’m reliving past traumas over and over... while I have to struggle to feel the barest minimum (nonexistence) of safety and inclusion doing this craft WE both love.

You say you just want to get back to your knitting and girl... me too, ME TOO. That knitting and crocheting is not political and we all just get along, but crafting has ALWAYS been political. When YOU can enjoy The privilege to just knit without fear and consequence while the rest of us are fighting to be seen, to be heard, to be a part of this community, this is political.

You say you just want to go back to your knitting and girl ME TOO. But you just going back to knitting as usual like nothing has happened, like nothing Is happening is erasing my and every BIPOC experience in this community (and beyond). 

So girl, we ain’t never gonna let you JUST go back to YOUR knitting until WE ALL can go back to OUR knitting in a space that is safe and inclusive to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment